Friday, January 21, 2011

An Homage to Hanna-Barbera Continues...

Another late night led to another late morning.  When parceling time for the a.m. routine, I try to keep snack bag doodling to a maximum of 7 minutes. It is just doodling, after all.  But the deliberation is the real time eater.  To wit:  "Oscar, what I am drawing today?"  Reply:  "Um...Daphne.  You remind me of Daphne."  Aw!  That's not a bad start...Daphne's pretty rad so I feel flattered.  Ok, I start drawing and simultaneously freaking out about the time, but as previously noted, people drawings are particularly rough (exhibit A below).  Then there is more.  "Velma too.  You know mama, Velma is really smart.  She's like a scientist."  Alright.  No argument there, but the clock is ticking down and I am cursing my 2 am bedtime.  So there's Velma too.  Then..."Scrappy!  You need to draw Scrappy.  I know you hate him, but please draw Scrappy too."  Yikes.  I do hate Scrappy - he's so annoying - and I am sorry to admit that to my young, enthusiastic boy, but I cannot mask my dislike.  "Ugh!  Ok Oscar, as you wish." I am asked to include the "Puppy Power" catchphrase in a bubble.  Good grief.
If I had my druthers, I would call up Joe & Bill and ask why they would pollute a cool show like SD with a brat like Scrappy.  It's like that Oliver kid they threw on Brady Bunch to "liven things up" because the story was stale.  TV sitcom formula be damned!  This was not a necessary vehicle for the series.  I mean come on...the Harlem Globetrotters were in the show for like 10 episodes.  There was newness all the time.  Anyhow, I digress.  Enjoy that yogurt and Kashi bar buddy, enclosed in this (ha) masterpiece.  xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment